Godparent (Sponsor) Requirements
The CODE OF CANON LAW requires –
There is to be only (1) one male sponsor or (2) one female sponsor or (3) one of each.
If there is ONE sponsor it can be a male or a female.
If there are TWO sponsors there must be one male and one female.
Canon. 874 §1
To be permitted to take on the function of sponsor a person must –
- be designated by the one who is to be baptized, by their parents or guardians or, in their absence, by the pastor.
- have the aptitude and intention of fulfilling this function.
- be at least 16 years of age.
- be a Catholic who has received the Sacrament of Confirmation.
- has made First Holy Communion.
- be a practicing Catholic, living a life of faith and integrity, in keeping with the function to be taken on.
- not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared.
- not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.
Canon 874 §2
A baptized person who belongs to a non-Catholic ecclesial community is not to participate except together with a Catholic sponsor and then only as a witness of the baptism.